Sunday, December 20, 2009

Peter Travers, who'd have thunk?

So there was this huge snowstorm this weekend in Washington, D.C., and I've been snowed in as a mad result. What's happened since we got hit with about two feet of the powdery stuff? I've had lots of ice cream, cookies and walked to Popeyes. SO MUCH cabin fever. I feel like I'm in the fucking "Shining" over here.

As a result, I've been surfing the Internet like crazy. My wireless went out last night for like an hour and I didn't know what the fuck to do with myself; I watched "Wanted" on HBO to pass the time. That was awful.

After a while, I stumbled upon various best-of-the-decade movie lists, though, and I was pleasantly surprised by the one Peter Travers did for Rolling Stone. Most of the other lists I've seen have kind of sucked - The Onion A.V. Club had "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" in the top spot, which I just can't get behind, and "Entertainment Weekly" had the LOTR trilogy, which I adore, but I don't know if they're No. 1 of the past 10 years - but Travers put together a pretty solid collection. Here's his rundown:

10. LOTR trilogy
9. Mystic River
8. The Departed
7. Brokeback Mountain
6. The Incredibles
5. No Country for Old Men
4. A History of Violence
3. Mulholland Drive
2. Children of Men
1. There Will Be Blood

I'm kind of surprised by a few things on the list, like "The Incredibles" and "A History of Violence," both of which I found annoying, and shocked that "Gladiator," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Dark Knight" and "City of God" weren't on the list, because they were amazing films. But overall, good job, Travers. Given his enthusiasm for stupid action films (ahem, "Iron Man" and "Spider-Man 3," for example), I didn't know he had good taste in him.

Also, just for my personal amusement:

No comments:

Post a Comment

sound.off