Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Today's worst moment.

Me: Bored at work. Listening to Lady Gaga's "Dance in the Dark" on my co-worker's iPod. Trying to pretend I don't like it when I secretly do.



What's that I hear? A sample taken from George Michael's "Careless Whisper," I think? I do some Google-ing. In my quest, I stumble upon this: A question on Yahoo! Answers about "Who is Benet Ramsey?" ... and I think to myself, REALLY? Am I truly so old at 22, and Lady Gaga's fans so young, that they don't know/remember who JonBenét Ramsey is?



You know, this murdered little girl that caused a media shitstorm when she was kidnapped and murdered in 1996 and ticked off A. tons of non-white parents whose own children had gone missing and received no attention because they weren't pretty or rich and B. anyone with a heart who would find it shocking that such a little girl was forced into those creepy child pageants by her parents and then ended up killed.

Do we really have such a bad national memory that today's kids and teens are utterly ignorant of the Ramsey thing? When I was growing up, that shit was EVERYWHERE - I was 9 when she died, and I remember details about the case being on all the broadcast news stations, "America's Most Wanted," everything. Plus, remember when people thought her killer had been caught - back in 2006, when John Mark Karr admitted to doing it, but it turned out that he was just a sick and twisted fuck who was lying for the media spotlight?

Ugh, for shame, America's youth. While I agree Ramsey's death received tons of media attention just because of her race and class, I still think it was a particularly awful thing to happen to a kid, and I'm surprised more people don't know about or remember her. As someone old enough to drink legally, I'm going to go drown my ancient-feeling sorrows and contempt for the common ignorant man (and Yahoo! Answers) ... maybe while listening to "Bad Romance." DON'T JUDGE.

+ Photo courtesy of PerfectPeople

No comments:

Post a Comment

sound.off